Monday, 10 September 2012

In the Mood (Part two)


When I started writing the last post I had meant to think about why I was choosing the particular books that I happened to be reading at the time, but somehow got sidetracked and wandered through reminiscing about all the books that I have read in my life.  I think that anyone who reads this blog will understand that I will read almost anything. 
Sometimes when you pick up a book it is just not the right time to read that book.  I have felt this way about books and rather than continuing to read that particular book I will put it aside to read later when I am less tired, less busy thinking about work, less worried about something and more likely to enjoy reading it. 
Getting the kindle also widened my reading list to include indie authors.  When I got my kindle the first books I downloaded were the Katy books that I had first read years ago, & I also discovered another two books that I hadn’t read before.  I downloaded a couple of David Eddings books (I had lost my paperback copies by lending them out) and some Terry Pratchett (same reason for one & the others I had read books borrowed from library)  Since the early weeks of kindle ownership though I have only bought a handful of books by established authors – the remainder have been indie books recommended by friends on the Goodreads forum. (UK Amazon Kindle Forum )  So now my list of authors read includes (in no particular order)  Rosen Trevithick, Mel Comley, Darren Humphries, Donna Fasano, Karl Jones, Steve Robinson, Talli Roland, Shaun Jeffrey, Lynette Sofras, Sibel Hodge, Linda Gruchy, Andrew Barrett, Katie Stewart, Terri Reid and many more. (apologies to those I have not mentioned :) ) Plus other authors such as Cecilia Peartree, Milly Reynolds, Karen Cantwell, Sheila Horgan, Victoria Connelly Rosalind Winter and Susan Parry. 
The good thing about having the kindle is that there are so many books that I call “airport trash” – by which I mean that they are the type of books that I would pick up in a second hand bookstore to pack in my suitcase as holiday reading, and because they were light and easy reads I wouldn’t bother bringing them back home with me. (at least that was the intention - most of them did come back home)  Having the kindle means that I have access to a large number of this type of book – & many of them are free - so I have plenty to choose from when I feel like lighter reading, or when I know I have only a short time and I need to be able to put the book down and get on with doing something important.  Having said that there are plenty of very good books that have occasionally been available free.

1 comment:

  1. I so agree Janet. I have read almost exclusively Indie books since getting my kindle. Some of them are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoy this blog.

Please leave me a comment so that I know you have visited.